Saturday, June 6, 2015

A fitting start

As part of my practice there is a journal I maintain. In it I document anything and everything I feel towards the end of my spiritual session. Let it be the struggle I had in clearing my mind, or the state of utter silence which made the hour go by so fast I did not even realize I had started meditating. While looking through a good account to share, it seemed appropriate to start with a private conversation I had with a non "abhyasi" (one who practices in Sanskrit). It was very fitting that we spoke about the mission and what it entails. Meditation is so prominent these days everyone has their own perception of how you practice and there is often a common misconception of "never having time". Ofcourse this often comes with a notion that you will have to take time out of your daily life to find a center that is far away. It is at that moment that I spoke passionately about the practice and immediately mentioned what it has meant to me.  

It is that conversation that let me to create this blog as there are so many things that I wish I talked about. One thing to note about "meditation" is that it is your ability to find the inner peace in you and one needs to willing to put in the work for themself. Inorder to do that you have to be initiated into the system, followed by weekly individual sittings weekly by a local preceptor (locally chosen to aid your practice) and a group Satsangh on Sundays. There is is plenty of guidance to get started and sustain your commitment to the practice. The goal is to work at your own pace and getting to a point where the "practice" becomes a normal part of your life; something you do naturally like taking a shower or eating food. The virtues are self evident in every aspect of your life and that is why you want to regularly practice. Remember you do the practice in the form that was prescribed to you and you will be sure to reap the benefits.


1 comment: